If you like to use your iDevice at full capacity, you probably already did the semi untethered iOS jailbreak. Now it’s time you did a complete untethered jailbreak, as the latest release of Redsn0w makes that possible. The guy originally working at developing the tool, Pod2g, gave away his project to two teams. The iPhone Dev-team upgraded Redsn0w and put the latest version in PwnageTool, while the Chronic Dev-team wrapped it up into the Cydia package. Thanks to them, it is now possible to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3G, iPod Touch 4G and iPad in just a few minutes.
Here are the steps you have to cover to take advantage of the upgrade:
1. Make sure your device is up-to-date and has iOS 5.0.1 installed. To upgrade to 5.0.1, connect your iPhone or iPad with the computer via the USB cable and open iTunes .
2. If you have never jailbroken your mobile, skip this step. If you already did a tethered jailbreak on your device for iOS 5.0.1, you can use the Cydia package provided by the Chronic Dev-team to upgrade to an untethered jailbreak. After opening it search for Corona 5.0.1 Untethered and install it.
3. Backup your files with iTunes. You can restore your previous phone configuration in case something goes wrong, or you decide you no longer want to have a jailbroken device.
5. Select “Install Cydia”. Click next.
6. Make sure your device is plugged into your computer and power it off, in this order.
7. Next, you will be told how to enter the DFU mode. Hold the power button and start holding the home button at the same time. Release the power button after a few seconds, but keep holding the home button and the installation should start.
8. The untethered jailbreak should install in a few minutes. After that, you will be ready to use all the features of your iPhone.
You’re all done. If you are unsure why you should jailbreak your iDevices, read our other articles on jailbreak. Rest assured, there is no risk in jailbreaking your device, you will only unlock apps and features that aren’t officially supported by Apple.