Getting your computer infected is not that difficult if you don’t use a powerful antivirus program or if you get tricked by a fake antivirus program. So, today I will tell you the steps you have to follow in order to remove Total Protect Antivirus.
Total Protect is a rogue antivirus programs that will display all kinds of fake warnings and scan results in order to make you think that there’s really something wrong with your computer. If you have let yourself fooled by these warnings and thus allowed the virus to infect your computer, then Total Protect will configure itself to start automatically when you start Windows.
This program will display fake scan results and will tell you that several infections have been found. Ignore these messages as Total Protect Antivirus tries to trick you into purchasing the whole package. If you do that, you will not only get your computer infected but you will lose your money as well. If you’ve already bought the entire Total Protect package, then you should call your credit card company and tell them that this a virus.
So, if you want to get rid of this virus, you will have to follow the next steps:
1. First of all, make sure you print out these instructions because you will have to close all the windows and programs at a certain moment in the removal procedure. You can use another computer to read them and to download the programs that are needed for this removal process. Transfer them to your infected computer after downloading them.
2. Now reboot your machine into Safe Mode With Networking by turning it off and then back on and by tapping the F8 key when you see anything on the screen. This will lead you to a menu where you will see the Safe Mode With Networking option. Select it and then press Enter. Make sure you login with the same username you’ve used before rebooting your computer into this mode.
3. Download Rkill and save it to your desktop in order to terminate all the programs and files that are associated with Total Protect Antivirus .
4. Double-click on the iExplore.exe icon and Rkill will look for the files that are associated with Total Protect and will terminate them. Ignore any warnings displayed by Total Protect telling you that Rkill is a malicious program. Total Protect will display these fake warnings in order to protect itself from programs that might remove it. Do not reboot the computer after Rkill has done terminating the Total Protect Antivirus files.
5. The next thing to do is to download MBAM and save it to your computer. To install it, you will have to double-click on the mbam-setup.exe icon on your desktop. Do not change the default settings and make sure you check both Update Malwarebytes-Antimalware and Launch Malwarebytes-Antimalware options. Click on Finish after that and don’t reboot your computer.
6. Go to MBAM main screen and check the Perform Full Scan option and then click on Scan. MBAM will now start to scan your computer for the infected and malicious files and programs.
7. When the scan finishes, you will have to go back to the main scanner screen and click on Show Results. You will see now all the infections MBAM has found. You will have to select them all and then click on “Remove Selected”. If MBAM asks you to reboot the computer after that, you should allow it to do so.
8. After you’ve reviewed the scan log displayed in Notepad, you can exit MBAM.
That’s about all! Your computer should be clean now and if you want to avoid this kind of situations in the future, then it is advisable to purchase the PRO version of MBAM.